TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE "ASPEN GSK STIEFE" AWARD
- The award is open to all Dermatologists resident and
working in South Africa and dermatology registrars who are
presently specializing in dermatology at an accredited
- Dead line for submission 30th January of each year.
- The award will be presented every 1 year at the
Dermatology congress of South Africa, and will have a total
value of R10 000.. In the event of multiple authors, for the
winning research paper, the award will only be made to the
- The topic of the research paper can be in any area of
Dermatology and/or Venereology, in which the applicant has
shown an interest.
- Only the first author of a multiauthored paper will be
considered for this prize. Should 2 authors wish to share
the prize this must be decided prior to submission and the
work must be submitted under both names.
- Only one piece of work per author per year should be
- Should the author have won either the DSSA award or the
Galderma award for ethnic skin research for the financing of
their research he\she may not apply for the Stiefel award
for that work.
- Applicants will be required to submit the research paper
by email to the secretary of the Dermatology society. He\she
will ensure that this paper is distributed to the
- The closing date for submissions will be 1st February of
each year, and the successful applicant will be notified
during April of each year.
- The research paper should have been accepted by a peer
reviewed journal or published in the year preceding the
application. The award is not intended for articles
published in journals with the primary aim of teaching
colleagues or general practitioners.
- If a research paper has been submitted for any other
awards, this must be specified on the front page.
- The selection panel will consist of 3 people chosen by
the executive committee of the DSSA.
- A representative of Stiefel Laboratories South Africa,
who is able to comment, but has no voting rights .
- Any person will be excluded from the selection panel if
they are applying for the award, or are directly related to
someone who is applying for it. The decision of the
selection panel will be final, and no correspondence will be
- The selection panel will use the following criteria to
assess the research papers:
- The originality of the paper submitted.
- The impact on Dermatology in South Africa and abroad.
- Scientific quality of the work
- Should the research papers which have been submitted,
not contain a sufficient level of scientific information,
the selection panel may elect not to present the award for
that particular year.
- Unsuccessful entries will only be returned, if a prior
request has been received by the respective authors.
- The sponsoring Company is authorized to divulge the
winning articles, in South Africa or abroad.
- The author of the winning research paper would also need
to present the paper at the next Dermatological Society of
South Africa annual congress, and should be in the form of
an oral presentation or poster.
- All applicants agree and accept that GSK Stiefel
Laboratories may, in its own discretion, release a copy of
the research paper to its research and development staff, if
so required. Should any of the research papers submitted,
present data that has therapeutic/commercial value (to be
decided by GSK Stiefel Laboratories), the applicants further
agree thatGSK Stiefel Laboratories will have the first
option to engage/negotiate with that applicant in order to
further discuss/develop those findings.
Submission of research papers for this award implies full
acceptance of/and adherence to the terms and conditions as
Applications should be submitted to the secretary of the
Dermatology society who will be responsible for submitting them
to the selection panel.
The article should be submitted as an attachment and the
covering letter must detail title of the article, the names of
the author and the journal reference of the article.