Galderma Award - Feb 2010
GALDERMA AWARD FOR PUBLISHED WORK.
A total yearly amount of R35,000 has been made available by Galderma for the Galderma award.
This award is intended to promote and reward published work by dermatologists and registrars working in South Africa.
The work should have been published within 12 months prior to submission to the secretary of the DSSA.
The amount to be awarded will depend on the type of work submitted, provided that the total amount awarded does not exceed R35,000.
This shall be determined by the adjudicators in consultation with the Galderma representative and EXCO.
The Executive Committee of the Dermatological Society of South Africa (DDSA) shall appoint 3 adjudicators who will evaluate all qualifying submitted articles and recommend to Galderma who (if any) should be given the award. These adjudicators will change from year to year depending on circumstances.
The work will be submitted to the Secretary of the Dermatology society who will refer the work to the appointed adjudicators as well as to the representative of Galderma.
The name(s) of the winner(s) will be announced at the Annual General Meeting of the DSSA
Criteria for eligibility of candidate or work;
- Members of the Dermatology society who are resident and working in South Africa as well as registrars working in the academic departments of South African universities are eligible to apply for this award..
- Type of work/articles which will be considered:
(Note that the work must have been peer reviewed and published in a peer reviewed journal to qualify for this prize.)
- Author or Editor of a textbook of Dermatology
- Author of a chapter in a dermatological textbook
- Research report in a Peer Reviewed Journal (PRJ)
- Review article in a PRJ
- Therapeutic/interventional study reported in a PRJ
- Series of cases reported in a PRJ
- Author of a guideline report in a PRJ
- Guest Editor of an edition of a dermatological journal
- Oral presentation at an International Congress (IC)
- Poster presentation presentation at an IC
- Case report in a PRJ
- Letter to the editor of a PRJ concerning clinical dermatology
- The award is credited to the main author of a multi-authored publication. The
award may be shared if more than one applicant submits work of a high standard. If 2
authors wish to share the prize this must be decided before the work is submitted to the
secretary and must be submitted under both names. . A submission from a co-author, not
the main author, will not be accepted unless it is sanctioned in writing by the main author.
However the award is intended for dermatologists and dermatology registrars
working in South Africa.
- Drug trials sponsored by a pharmaceutical firm will not be considered.
- The manner in which the research work was funded is not of relevance in
consideration of this award with the 2 exceptions of the DSSA administered
awards. These are the DSSA award for work to be undertaken and the Galderma
Ethnic skin award for proposed work. The Galderma award for published work
will not be awarded to recipients of one of these 2 awards.
- The deadline for submission to the Secretary of the DSSA will be 28th January of
each year. The award (s) will be announced at the Dermatology congress which is
held in April or May.
- The article should be submitted as an attachment. In the covering letter the
applicant should state the title of the article, the authors and the full journal or
- It has been decided that only one piece of work should be submitted per person
per year and the best and most comprehensive piece of work should be chosen for
- The judge's decision is final and binding.
FRAMEWORK FOR AMOUNTS TO BE AWARDED:
- These are maximum amounts suggested but the adjudicators may recommend
smaller amounts for Galderma's consideration. The total of all the awards
together may not exceed the amount of R35,000 earmarked by Galderma.
- Amounts may be shared by authors of different articles competing for the same
category but these are guidelines and subject to the discretion of the adjudicators.
List of criteria for judging:
- Items 2 (a) and (b) R35,000
- Items 2 (c) R 25,000
- Items 2 (d) and (e) R20,000
- Items 2 (f) and (g) R15,000
- Items 2 (h), (i) and (j) R10,000
- Items 2 (k) and (l) R5000